The Springbok flyhalf kicked four penalty goals and a conversion for a personal tally of 14 points, while he also created the team’s vital try with a little over two minutes left on the clock, which saw them overturn a deficit to earn back-to-back victories in the competition.

Both teams battled to make their presence felt in an error-ridden first half, which saw only six points being scored compliments of two penalty goals by Bosch.

The match livened up in the second half, but the last 13 minutes proved to be crucial as the Toyota Cheetahs took the lead before being reduced to 14 men, which saw the momentum switch in the home team’s favour.

Both teams showed innovation on attack and played with intent in opening stages of the encounter but their efforts to convert pressure into points – close to the tryline at times – were in vain as unforced errors denied them.

Bosch kicked the first points of the match in the 33rd minute after which the Toyota Cheetahs had the opportunity to level the scores with shot at goal, but the attempt went wayward, leaving them scoreless.

Toyota Cheetahs lock Carl Wegner received a yellow card in the dying minutes of the half following repeated infringements by the team, and this paved the way for Bosch to kick their second three-pointer, which handed them a 6-0 halftime lead.

The Free Staters finally got onto the scoreboard in the 48th minute thanks to a penalty goal by Tian Schoeman (flyhalf).

The Cell C Sharks had a sniff of a possible first try four minutes later when Jeremy Ward (centre) crossed the chalk out wide, but the try was denied due to earlier interference which removed a Toyota Cheetahs player from contesting the ball.

Bosch, however, ensured that the hosts extended their lead in the 57th minute as he kicked his third penalty goal for a 9-3 lead, but the kicking battle between the flyhalves continued as Schoeman slotted over his second penalty goal to reduce their deficit to three points with 13 minutes left.

Marius Louw on the charge for the Cell C Sharks.

Marius Louw on the charge for the Cell C Sharks.

This fueled the Toyota Cheetahs’ determination as William Small-Smith (centre) scored a try in the 70th minute after gathering a well-timed pass and dashing through a small gap in the defence, and the successful conversion pushed them into a 13-9 lead.

But the visitors were dealt a big blow as Rosko Specman (wing) received a yellow card for a deliberate knock-down, which saw them being reduced to 14 men for the remainder of the match.

There was high drama in the proceeding minutes as Cell C Sharks wing Madosh Tambwe gathered a smart cross kick by Bosch and dashed through to the tryline, and the conversion saw them restore their three point lead with a little over two minutes to play.

Bosch had the last say in the match with a long-range penalty goal, which sealed a 19-13 victory for the KwaZulu-Natalians.


Cell C Sharks 19 (6) – Try: Madosh Tambwe. Conversion: Curwin Bosch. Penalty goals: Bosch (4).

Toyota Cheetahs 13 (0) – Try: William Small-Smith. Conversion: Tian Schoeman. Penalty goals: Tian Schoeman (2).